Night Time on the Boardwalk

I haven't done a lot of night photography of late even less in black and white. I met up with my friend John Meadows, do click through and check out his blog, I love his photography, anyway, wandering off topic a bit. He wanted to test out a film for night photography on the boardwalk in the Beaches, I came along for the ride.

Shooting night photography with film is done 98% of the time on a tripod, a decent one like a Manfrotto, Gitzo or Vanguard and avoid the cheapie stamped aluminum jobs you used to find at Black's Photo. I chose Ilford HP5 400, I've shot kilometres of the stuff over the years and I know it behaves in my go to developers and it has great reciprocity characteristics. What does that mean? Say if I wanted to expose a shot at night the light meter says 15 seconds at F11, in reality, to get what I want, I have to expose for 50 seconds. Film manufacturers have tech sheets for reference here's an example from Ilford's HP5 400

I got great results in 35mm but I have to do more black and white night photography, especially in medium format, the results are even better.

Camera: Nikon FM, Nikkor Ai 50 f2 lens.
Film: Ilford HP5 400, HC110 B

Night Time on the Boardwalk Two


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rollei 35, Rollei RPX 100 on the October Photo Walk

Second Roll of Aerocolor IV (Flic Film Elektra 100)

The Trip Back Down HIghway 35 from Dwight to Minden.